It’s time to say NO to this one-stop, tunnel vision, fiasco. The latest city report shows that the 6 km extension of the Bloor/Danforth line – with a single stop at Scarborough Town Centre – now requires an even bigger investment of public funds. The cost has gone up again, to $3.35 billion, but the ability to attract new riders has dropped, from 4,500 to only 2,300.
In fact, the latest article by Star reporter, Jennifer Pagliaro, shows $600 million in costs have not been included in the $3.35 billion estimate, pushing it beyond the $3.56 billion funding limit. That means no money for the 18-stop Eglinton East LRT (EELRT). Worse, by prioritizing the one-stop subway, Mayor Tory and pro-subway councillors have ensured the EELRT must compete for federal funding with other projects such as Smart Track, Relief Line and Eglinton West LRT. The EELRT would serve 26,000 residents in five Neighbourhood Improvement Areas(NIAs). The SSE would serve at most only 3,100 residents of NIAs.
The report also proposes $187 million go toward an underground bus terminal. If built, Triton terminal will house 24 TTC buses, almost double the number of existing TTC buses that come into Scarborough Town Centre. If new transit lines are supposed to eliminate the need for buses, then this one-stop subway fails miserably. In fact, with the elimination of existing RT stations including Lawrence, Ellesmere and Midland, residents of Scarborough are getting less access to rapid transit, not more!
The Mayor and pro-subway councillors want us to ignore the facts and “just build something”, regardless of costs or consequences. But when the three-stop subway was approved in 2013, we didn’t know then what we know now. We must not put any more time and money into this boondoggle!
Join us when the subway report goes to the Executive Committee on Tuesday March 7th. Tell Mayor Tory to scrap the subway extension, and get on with building the seven-stop Scarborough and eighteen-stop Eglinton East LRT instead.
- If you haven’t already, send a message to Mayor Tory and council.
- Canvass for the Scarborough LRT this Sunday, March 5th @ 2:00 p.m . Contact Vincent email@example.com.
- Join us at the Executive Committee meeting at City Hall (100 Queen Street West) on Tuesday, March 7th @ 9:30 a.m. Register to speak to item EX23.1 at 416-392-4666, or send an email to the Executive Committee firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read the editorial in the Toronto Star here.
- Read the “Update to the initial Business Case Analysis of the Scarborough Subway Extension” report here.