Source: maQSeaimages http://maqseaimages.blogspot.com
Scarborough’s residents love our part of the city! We want our neighbourhoods to thrive. As we’re home to some of Toronto’s poorest neighbourhoods, with the highest number of racialized people and rates of unemployment, we need a fast, modern and convenient rapid transit system that connects us to each other and the rest of the city. A one-stop subway won’t do this. A 50-Stop Scarborough Light Rapid Transit (LRT) Network will.
A publicly-built, operated and maintained LRT Network made up of the Scarborough, Sheppard East and Eglinton East LRT lines would bring equity and prosperity to Scarborough by:
- Connecting our communities with a fast, convenient and affordable way to get to work, schools, shopping, appointments and entertainment.
- Creating 14,390 new jobs including good TTC operations and maintenance jobs.
- Providing training opportunities and apprenticeships for our young people.
- Facilitating redevelopment along each LRT route.
- Increasing walkability and accessibility for seniors and those with mobility issues.
- Reducing congestion and cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
- Making our streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Keeping our four SRT stations and eliminating the need to reroute buses to a 33-bay underground bus terminal at the Scarborough Town Centre.
The Scarborough LRT Network coalition brings together grassroots transit advocacy groups Connect Sheppard East and Scarborough Transit Action in calling on the new Toronto Council to build modern, high capacity transit to connect our neighbourhoods. We are calling for the previously-planned and approved (Transit City) Scarborough LRTs to be built without further delay.
Scarborough residents can’t afford to waste ten more years waiting for a subway extension to Scarborough Town Centre. Nor can we afford the huge expense for a subway that does nothing to connect our underserved neighbourhoods. We need transit now. Join us in our call for a Scarborough LRT Network!
Next Stop: Equity and Prosperity – Let’s Get Scarborough Moving!